Space junk
Alain Fournier
2024-05-15 13:45:39 UTC
Can anyone identify this piece of space junk?

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/space-debris-farm-field-1.7204312

Alain Fournier
Snidely
2024-05-15 19:42:33 UTC
Post by Alain Fournier
Can anyone identify this piece of space junk?
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/space-debris-farm-field-1.7204312
Alain Fournier
Well, astronomers have connected it with SpaceX. (If the "astonomers"
weren't Jonathon McDowell, they were probably using his online catalog
of launches and objects.)

Given that the connection is a launch in February, I'd guess it was a
piece of second stage. It appears to be an insulated portion, and the
exterior appears to have been dimpled (the rectangles), probably for
strength. Some rectangles are cutouts. The inside includes a hinged
anchor point.

That's not a lot of information to go on, since we don't see much of
the insides of a Falcon 2nd stage. The satellite carrier structure?
Something connected with gimbaling the motor? I haven't downloaded the
interface specs that SpaceX customers are provided with, which could
help confirm or refute the first possibility.

Note that interstages (and the pushers that separate the 2nd stage)
return to earth with the booster, and that fairings are self-separating
and land in the water long before the 2nd stage reaches orbit.

/dps
--
Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.
(Sighting reported by Adam F)
Snidely
2024-05-21 19:14:32 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Alain Fournier
[...]
Gizmodo and its sources is linking this to a Crew Dragon return on
February 9th, specifically the discarded trunk. A July 2020 chunk
found in Australia is also thought to be junk from the trunk.

/dps
--
Let's celebrate Macaronesia