Hubble to operated in one-gyro
Snidely
2024-06-04 21:30:04 UTC
Per NASA newsconference, HST will begin operating in one-gyro mode.
Three gryos are dead, the three improved gyros are still operating but
one has been giving bad data from time to time, causing safe-mode
operations. This will be kept offline as "from time to time" becomes
more frequent.

Hubble annual operations about $95 million.

(The improvement is in corrosion resistance.)

(Questions were asked about the proposed Polaris reboost mission)

NASA participants were Mark Clampin, director of the Astrophysics
Division of the Science Mission Directorate, and Patrick Crouse,
project manager of Hubble Space Telescope at Goddard. About 6 minutes
of prepared presentation, and the remaining time, about 35 minutes, for
Q&A.

BTW, for an interview with Mark Clampin, especially looking forward to
the Habitable Worlds Observatory, see Dr Smethhurst's channel ...

/dps
Trust, but verify.
The Running Man
I very much doubt Hubble can be repaired by a Polaris (Crew Dragon) mission since they don't have a platform to attach Dragon to Hubble. Also, who's going to pay for all this? Isaacman is conjuring up this mission but I'm pretty sure he's not going to pay it out of his own pocket.
Snidely
2024-06-05 14:45:32 UTC
Post by The Running Man
Post by Snidely
Per NASA newsconference, HST will begin operating in one-gyro mode.
Three gryos are dead, the three improved gyros are still operating but
one has been giving bad data from time to time, causing safe-mode
operations. This will be kept offline as "from time to time" becomes
more frequent.
Hubble annual operations about $95 million.
(The improvement is in corrosion resistance.)
(Questions were asked about the proposed Polaris reboost mission)
I very much doubt Hubble can be repaired by a Polaris (Crew Dragon) mission
since they don't have a platform to attach Dragon to Hubble.
Hubble has what might be considered a docking adapter, fitted on the
lst servicing mission. How Dragon would use it is part of the TBDs
Clampin says need to be filled in before NASA would be giving the
go-ahead. And if the mission includes attaching external gyros to
Hubble, those would have to be developed.
Post by The Running Man
Also, who's
going to pay for all this?
NASA would be paying for it, as they would for a de-orbit mission.
Post by The Running Man
Isaacman is conjuring up this mission but I'm
pretty sure he's not going to pay it out of his own pocket.
No, but I bet he's paying for some of the early planning.

/dps
--
"It wasn't just a splash in the pan"
-- lectricbikes.com
Snidely
2024-06-14 19:16:37 UTC
Post by The Running Man
Also, who's going to pay for all this?
NASA would be paying for it, as they would for a de-orbit mission.
I seem to be wrong about this.
Post by The Running Man
Isaacman is conjuring up this mission but I'm pretty sure he's not going to
pay it out of his own pocket.
No, but I bet he's paying for some of the early planning.
Perhaps SpaceX and Isaacman are sharing the bill.

Isaacman discusses NASA's response with Ellie In Space:

While Clampin seems open to the proposal "eventually", he seems
confident that Hubble will keep going into the 2030s, and that too many
details need to be worked out to justify rushing into a solution. But
Isaacman thinks NASA is not being completely candid about Hubble's
health and that the current solar maximum reduces the time available.

/dps
Trust, but verify.
Snidely
2024-06-25 17:32:18 UTC
Post by Snidely
http://youtu.be/HCd6hvmEJ2U
While Clampin seems open to the proposal "eventually", he seems confident
that Hubble will keep going into the 2030s, and that too many details need to
be worked out to justify rushing into a solution. But Isaacman thinks NASA
is not being completely candid about Hubble's health and that the current
solar maximum reduces the time available.
I think Eric Berger feels the biggest push-back came from the Astronaut
Office. He spent some time chatting with NSF hosts before Flight 4

[One way to maybe resolve that would be to include NASA astronauts on
the Polaris Hubble crew, seems to me.]

/dps
--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Niklas Holsti
2024-06-05 14:57:28 UTC
Post by The Running Man
Post by Snidely
Per NASA newsconference, HST will begin operating in one-gyro
mode. Three gryos are dead, the three improved gyros are still
operating but one has been giving bad data from time to time,
causing safe-mode operations. This will be kept offline as "from
time to time" becomes more frequent.
Hubble annual operations about $95 million.
(The improvement is in corrosion resistance.)
(Questions were asked about the proposed Polaris reboost mission)
I very much doubt Hubble can be repaired by a Polaris (Crew Dragon)
mission since they don't have a platform to attach Dragon to Hubble.
The Polaris mission is for reboost, not repair. At the NASA news
conference, NASA said they believe that thanks to the improved
corrosion-resistant gyros, Hubble can very likely operate in the
one-gyro mode to the end of the 2020's, and has about a 70% chance of
operating into the low 2030's (IIRC). So a repair does not seem very urgent.